Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Trump Sandwich

The Trump Sandwich
The View from the Middle

Just when I think I’ve seen it all, something happens to remind me that I actually live in bizarro world these days.  Last week, Donald Trump found himself under attack simultaneously by the National Review and Hollywood elites, like Rosie O’Donnell, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, et al.  This could not have been a coordinated effort.  These two groups are so far apart ideologically that they can barely see each other from the opposite ends of the political spectrum they occupy. 
I predict that Trump will use these attacks to his advantage.  He will point out their radical positions and paint himself as the moderate victim, while he is certainly not a victim and probably not a moderate. These attacks will help him appeal to that 90% of Americans who don’t see themselves as extreme liberals or conservatives.  While their intent was to scuttle Trump’s campaign, they may have given him a gift that will only serve to enhance his chances. 
Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not a big Trump fan.  My favorite candidate is still Carly Fiorina with her small government, zero based budgeting, personal responsibility message.  I’m not sure why she can’t break out of the pack and challenge the likes of Trump, Cruz and Rubio.  Leader or not, however, I like her platform.

All this talk about Trump reminds me of a joke I heard at Liberty University.  Two Corinthians, Titus and Philemon walk into a bar…

1 comment: