Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Flip Side of Under Our Skin - Race in America

The Flip Side of - Under Our Skin
 The View from the Middle

Almost immediately after the grand jury in Ferguson, Missouri announced its decision not to indict officer Darren Wilson, Benjamin Watson, a professional football player and a black man, sent out an expression of his emotions through Facebook.  His post was thoughtful, honest and dispassionate, which caused it to go viral overnight.  He has recently written a book called Under Our Skin which develops those feelings more fully, and which I highly recommend. 
I did find, however, that while I experienced the same emotions, I did so for very different reasons.  After all, I am a 63-year-old white guy, and have lived a different life from Mr. Watson.  I’m hoping that this view of the same circumstance, but from a different perspective will only serve to enhance Mr. Watson’s message.
Now, before you read on, take your mind back to the riots and looting that took place in Ferguson.  Remember “hands up, don’t shoot” and the deep division of opinion and even testimony in the wake of Michael Brown’s death.  Now, here are the feelings that I experienced at that volatile moment.

I’m Angry – The evidence seemed clear.  Michael Brown was a huge young man and a thug who threatened a storeowner, stole some Tiparillos and then walked down the middle of the street, asking for confrontation.  It was also evident that Michael Brown attacked Darren Wilson in his car and turned on him after the chase with the intent of assaulting him.  Michael was 6’ 4” and weighed nearly 300 pounds.  I probably would have shot him myself.
I’m Frustrated – We finally have a black President, and while I didn’t vote for him, my hope was that he would have a positive effect on race relations in this county.  But up to this point, I feel they have gotten worse.
I’m Fearful – Even though I’m very sympathetic to the plight of the black community in America, I fear I will be seen only for the color of my skin and my opinion will be marginalized or I could possibly even be physically assaulted.
I’m Embarrassed – I know that there are prejudiced people in America who are either ignorant of our country’s history or just don’t care.  I’ve heard the off color jokes and bigoted statements and sometimes I’ve even responded to them with silence, which isn’t enough.  I like to think that I’m as unbiased as possible, but if I’m the high side for whites in America, I understand the frustration of the Black Community.
I’m Sad – A young man is dead and another young man’s life will forever be in shambles.  There are no winners here.  As I watch the looting and destruction I can almost “feel” the widening of racial divide in this country.  My heart also goes out to the shop owners who are innocent victims of the carnage.
I’m Sympathetic – I’m acutely aware of the intentional and systematic destruction of the black family for over 200 years in America.  I’ve read the history of subjugation and the denial of education (the great liberator) to blacks in this country.  Given this deliberate suppression, I’m actually surprised at the recovery the black community has made.
I’m Offended – Because of the color of my skin I’ve been labeled a racist by some and blamed for an inhuman practice that ended 150 years ago.  Because of the color of my skin I’ve been condemned for racial sins since abolition that I did not commit.
I’m Confused – I don’t understand why so many young black men resist arrest.  How do they think these confrontations will end? 
I’m Introspective – I understand that while I may be sympathetic, I have lived a very different life than the majority of black Americans.  Since I don’t carry the same baggage as they do, the answers to this issue seem oh-so apparent to me.
I’m Hopeless – I see the black community in America continue to suffer from the same depravation instituted by slavery.  Over 70% of black children are born out of wedlock.  More black boys drop out of high school and fewer young black men attend college even though I know that education is the key to equality and success in America.
I’m Hopeful – Because I’ve seen the country change for the better in my 63 years.  I’ve seen great role models like Martin Luther King, Condoleezza Rice, Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell and Dr. Ben Carson who have risen to the highest levels of influence in America.  I’ve seen racial attitudes change from generation to generation, and I see the innocence of our young people as many of them face the world today from a colorblind perspective.
I’m Encouraged – As I stated earlier, I have seen so much progress in my life that I have to be encouraged.  I continue to see more and more positive role models for young black men and women, now to include Benjamin Watson.  If our current President or the next has any intelligence at all, they will bring Mr. Watson into public service as “Racial Unity Czar” or something to that effect.  I have long said that empathy from whites and forgiveness from blacks will be needed to eventually resolve racism in America, and I think Mr. Watson might agree with that.
I must also agree with Mr. Watson that the real change needed is a “heart” change, and the source of that metamorphosis is Jesus Christ.   Through Him all things are possible, even racial unity.


If you have not read Benjamin Watson’s original Facebook post, fear not.  Just buy his book, Under Our Skin.  That post appears in the introduction.  We can only hope that his book goes as “viral” as his Facebook post did.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is only one race: the human race. There is only one Creator and Redeemer: Y’shua (Jesus) the Messiah. Man's sin is engraved upon his heart with an iron pen. Only the hammer of God’s Word wielded by His Holy Spirit can break the prideful, arrogant and rebellious heart of man. Only the Potter can put the crushed pieces of rock back together making a new man and a new woman whose heart is molded, shaped and engraved with His Truth. The Bible is the only book who puts people on a level playing field. Darwinism can’t do it and makes the problem worse (as evidenced for instance at Columbine); Karl (Mordacai) Marx hated mankind and sought to crush the “pigmy giant” (as evidenced by his disciples Hitler, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pong, Sindero Luminoso, etc…); Pantheism can’t do it (as evidenced by the cast system); Agnosticism is a non-starter; Islam doesn't do it; Judaism (left to itself) failed to do it; on and on the list goes. History proves the point, that when the Totality of Scripture (Bible) is rightly proclaimed, taught and implemented, and, Jesus, (the way, the truth and the life) is allowed to rule in the hearts of mankind you will get a radical transformation for good (“what makes people good Christians makes them good citizens”, Daniel Webster) –people will be valued for their objective intrinsic (internal value) not their subjective extrinsic value whether imposed or taken away by a manipulative self-seeking elite who tend to use the masses to achieve their own goals. No other worldview apart from the Holy Bible could have penned the Declaration of Independence, nor the Constitution, and much less the Bill of Rights - It is time our nation did something radical and dealt with the root issue by returning to its roots.

    ReplyDelete